Terrorists and Freedom Fighters

We have much talk of eliminating 'terrorists' all over the world.
Given what has happened, this seems to make sense.

We might need to be a bit careful, though. If carried to an extreme,
it would also prevent people from opposing an oppressive government.
In the past, we have called such people 'freedom fighters'. One
person's 'terrorist' is another persons 'freedom fighter'.

How do we get rid of one without removing the other? How much freedom
are we willing to give up to get security?

If eliminating 'terrorists' also eliminates 'freedom fighters',
perhaps the 'terrorists' have won.

ztrader