Re: NeoTicker (was Re: EL to VB translator)

Mostly agree with Bob, few things to add:

>From: Bob Fulks

><skiped>
>But no. They decide to throw all that away and become an on-line broker

I think it would be more fair to say: they keep all that alive removing
just 3 major component from TS2K:
-Third-Party Data Support;
-Global Server;
-WorkSpace Assistance;
and named this new program: TS Pro.

One of this three components is vital for most current TS2K/TS4 users
and this is a third-party data support.

On the positive side they added data-on-demand which is the direction
most of their competitors moving to these days. Also, they are
constantly improving TS Pro (this could sound unrealistic for most omega
users who did not see Pro, but this is the fact). They are adding new
functionality and data reliability with each new release of Pro. As of
today i would say it is a pretty solid platform with some
minor bugs (the first release was unusable) and one major drawback - no
third-party data support.

>trying to compete with well funded giants such as Schwab, Fidelity,
Ameritrade, etc., all of whom happen to be laying off
>people by the thousands.

>By deciding to compete, they cut off potential sales through all
existing brokers who could have been a massive sales force promoting
>their product.
>By discontinuing to sell the product, they force all customers to start
looking for another product

Or move to the same EL platform called now TS Pro.

>- no one want to be stuck without
>support. This also cuts off the only existing source of revenue.

If they would just move from TS2k to TS Pro without adding brokerage
business they still would keep comparable revenue from
monthly licensing fees. Instead of one time charge of ~2.5K (for witch
they decided to provide free and terrible lifetime support) they are
getting ~1.2-2K per year from the same customer base. Also, few month
ago there was a message here from somebody who talked to someone in ts
management and posted here that they are planning to add third-party
data support by the end of the year (if i am remembering correctly). As
soon as it available DH could make Dynastor PRO (for those who do not
like ts datafeed). It would make TS Pro a "new and improved" TS2K (may
be they could market it under "SP6" name too satisfy some old-timers :).

The main point is

TS PRO = TS2K - Third-Party Data Support

from which:

TS2K=TS PRO + Third-Party Data Support

I posted few messages here about some problems with EL in TS Pro (never
get any comments back expect Mr. Pierre, who denied the problem). I was
surprised to find out that they were gradually fixing these problems
with each new release. Also I was surprised when two days ago I received
an E-mail message from EL support dpt. in response to my message posted
to omega list (!) regarding the problem with series functions in TS Pro
on multi-data charts (I never sent this message to el support and in
their responce they quoted my message with a header: "To:
omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx"!). So there is no doubt they have some huge
feedback from omega list which would deffinately help for their future
business dessisions (provided that their management is not a suicidal
kind).

>This also sends a clear message to potential suppliers that the
customer base is up for grabs so potential competitors redouble their
>efforts.

I think it is a consensus here that for most people who use ts for
system development and testing there is no compatible commercial package
unless they invested time in writing their own solution (Excel/VB/C++
etc). I looked at Expo by Leading Market Technology and it is nice and
powerfull comercial package used by leading institutions worldwide,
still it is not coming even close to TS functuanality in the part of
system design and testing.

>Someone must have a death wish...
>TRAD stock is again near it's all time low of about $2.50 so the
stockholders are voting  - with their feet...
>But perhaps we are missing something and this is really a brilliant
strategy in disguise...

I think ts made a risky but very smart move ahead of the the time and
they are paying the price now for the future revenue. If things go good
for them they would benefit from two more brand new businesses they
added, if things go bad they still have industry standard TS2K with new
name TS Pro (giving that they are adding third-party data support very
soon). In any case, my prediction is that TS Pro will eventually satisfy
all current TS2K/TS4 users unless more powerful package would come to
the market from another company.

I forgot to mention one important thing. To attract more current omega
customers i think it is very important for omega to provide some solid
mechanism in PRO which will prevent possibility of uploading personal
files from users machine to ts server during data-on-demand session.

Thanks,
gary