The bugaboo of ITM option illiquidity

Gary,

let me preface this by stating that I am not advocating day trading QQQ
options in the same sense that one would be scalping the NQ for a quick 10
or 20 points profit. QQQ options do lend themselves very well to short-term
trading from, say, a 30-min. chart, holding a position for several hours to
a few days, but not to scalping.

Fortunately for the QQQ traders, slippage is not as bad as you indicate in
your post. However, it does exist, and an honest appraisal is in order. Let
us go through the QQQ vs. NQ numbers together, step by step, and try to work
out the correct scale.

(1) With current prices, any 1-point move in the QQQ corresponds to about a
40-point move in the NQ (actually that number is about 40.8, but let us use
40 here for the sake of simplicity).

(2) How much is a 1-point move worth per share or contract? In the QQQ, 1
point is worth $1 per share, just like in any other stock. Since one stock
option is the right to buy or sell 100 shares, a 1-point move in QQQ
*options* is worth $100 per option contract. In the NQ, 1 point is worth $20
per futures contract.

(3) It follows that one tick in QQQ options (0.05 points) is worth $5, and
one tick in NQ futures (0.5 points) is worth $10.

To avoid introducing any bias into this analysis, let us apply the above
numbers to a scalping situation in which the options can't play their
strengths. Suppose we buy 5 NQ contracts, make a quick profit of 20 points
in the NQ, and exit with a gross profit of 5x20x20=$2000. Average slippage
would be 2 ticks per round turn per contract, which amounts to 10 ticks or
$100 for 5 NQ futures.

Now for the QQQ. Because of (1), the 20-pt. move in the NQ corresponds to a
0.5-point move in the QQQ. And because of (2), for the QQQ trade to be
equivalent, we would have to buy 4000 shares in order to make the same $2000
profit on a half-point move in the QQQ. But since we want to do options, and
one option controls 100 shares, we would have to buy 40 QQQ options instead.

We are almost done, but still have to take option delta into account. An
at-the-money option will move only about half a point for every full point
move in the QQQ stock; thus, for a fully equivalent trade we would have to
buy 80 QQQ options, make a profit by having the underlying QQQ stock move
half a point, and exit. According to (3), average slippage per round-turn
would be 2x80 ticks, or $800. This is 8 times the average slippage we would
experience in the NQ. Not 100 times as much, but still a lot.

However, the tables will be turned for a trading system that stays in the
market overnight, or goes for larger profits. Then the increased slippage of
options is perceived by the option trader to be the fair price for their
built-in protective qualities.

Best,

Michael Suesserott