Re: Warning: all historybank.com data seems stamped 1 minute late.

I agree with much of what Dennis said. More thoughts in line below:

>From: DH <catapult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Omega List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Warning: all historybank.com data seems stamped 1 minute late.
>Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:50:23 -0700
>
>Without knowing anything about your system, I seriously doubt that a 1
>minute error in the timestamp of your backtest data is the root cause of
>your problems. Let me take a wild guess. Your system uses the built-in
>TS stops right?

Have you tested your system in other time frames? If it worked great on
1 minute it should at least work OK on 2,3,5 whatever minute charts. And it
should also be at least OK with different or NO stops. Did you "torture
test" your system? Did you try to break it down on paper or did you blue sky
yourself?

>Consider it tuition in your quest to learn to be a trader. Next time,
>when you think you have the holy grail, try paper trading it for a while
>before you put real money on the line.

It would seem just letting TS run the system in real time for a few days
should have highlighted the problem you described. Run the system real time
and check it against the same system run after the close on the "same" EOD
data. Are the stops filled the same? No? Uh oh! How easy is that to do? A
few minutes at the end of the day....

I for one am sorry to hear about your losses. It makes me
feel sick (really sick!) when my clients loss money for the wrong reasons:
no stops: letting a losses run and run, churning themselves, bad
systems/methods that are doomed, whatever. The bottom line is only you can
protect your money, and if you think the time stamps cost you your savings,
then you haven't even begun to understand the problem.

>If this stuff was easy, anybody
>could do it.

Regardless of what some might say:
"It's simple, but it ain't easy."