Re: P4 1.7Ghz versus P3 1.0Ghz Xeon?

  • To: Rundy Bradley <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: P4 1.7Ghz versus P3 1.0Ghz Xeon?
  • From: Ian MacAuslan <imacauslan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:21:59 -0700

Rundy,
This was actually the question in my original post.  Intel's web site may
have some performance comparisons bewtween P3 and P4...I suspect that for
optimizations, the XEON may be faster--though keep in mind the XEON is
available in L2 cache sizes from 256k to 2 MB...the 2 MB version is
probably obscenely expensiove, though may be worth it as a tradeing
station for optimizations.  The whoile point here well be to keep the
entire symbol's data set in that L2 cache--that way the optimizations
fly...Once the system has to go beyond the L2 cache to fetch the symbol's
data, performance suffers (in other words, that P-4 1.7 GHz chip would
spend much of its time waiting for data to crunch).

--

imacauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxx