RE: AMD Dual Processor - finally !

Hi, I am also just a little unsure about whether to build a SMP(2CPU)
system.

First let's consider the use of a dual CPU system as an all around home
computer system.
In this case - It is probably just a waste of money. I think that TWO single
CPU computers
would probably be cheaper than one quality SMP system.  Very few games and
home applications
can make use of more than one CPU.  Of course the operating system could use
one of the CPUs
and the game or application could use the second one.  But at the "end of
the day", the same
amount of work would be accomplished on a dual CPU computer as compared to a
single CPU computer.

Now let's consider using a dual CPU for working on trading systems.  While I
can see some small
advantage, I would really rather have 2 separate computers than just 1
computer trying to do everything.
It is very simple to connect 2 computers in a small network and to have both
computers connected to
the internet at the same time.  You can then do two daily updates, one at a
time, and have the advantage
of using one computer for optimizing while you are working on another
trading system or surfing the net.

Finally let's consider Online Trading.  Here you can really use 2 CPUs.  One
CPU would be used to
process the incoming quotes and the second CPU would be updating the charts.
I understand that
currently with only 1 CPU, you can have only about 8 charts open at a time
for real time updating
before you computer gets overloaded.  With 2 CPUs you could have a few more
charts open.  But I still
don't think that you would have enough computer power to handle real time
trading and optimize
a trading system at the same time.

General comments.
1. A two CPU system can only do about 40% more work than a single CPU
system.
2. In general a two CPU system is 4 times more complicated as a single CPU
system.
3. The timing problems are very difficult on a multiple CPU system and many
of them crash far too often.
4. The latest AMD floating point operations are faster than the Pentium 4
floating point operations.
5. The AMD-MP processor and the Xeon processor are designed for multiple CPU
computer systems and most
   of the other processors are designed just for a single CPU computer.
6. Screen space is a big concern, and I really like to have two high quality
21 inch displays on my computers.

My Personal Opinion.
1. If I can process all of my work with a single CPU system with multiple
displays, then that is the way
   I would chose to go.  Of course, I will always have several computers
available.
2. If I must have a 2 CPU computer in order to get my real time quotes and
charts processed, then I will
   spend the more than $4,000 to have a dual display, raid disk drives, dual
CPU system with 512MB of memory.
3. I will always have several computers to do different tasks at the same
time.  It just makes life easier.
4. I cannot speak as to the suitability of the AMD-MP processors and
TradeStation Pro , but I am waiting
   for a couple of months before I make my final decision.  Because of the
faster floating point operations
   and the cheaper total costs, I am leaning towards a dual AMD-MP computer,
just to handle my real time trading.

James Lillard