RE: XEON Processors & TS

Regarding the Xeon processort and TS thread -- there may be some confusion about "Xeons" and "dual-processor" setups.  These are two separate issues:

1.  One can have dual Celerons, Pentium III's etc.-- they don't have be Xeon processors (though of course they can be) for a dual-processor machine.

2.  Motherboards are different -- "garden variety" Pentium III's plug into a "Slot 1" connector on the motherboard.  Xeons (of which there are both Pentium II Xeons and Pentium III-based Xeons) require a "Slot 2" connector on the motherboard.

3.  As I understand it, what really distinguishes a "Pentium III XEON" processor from a "Pentium III" is *and only is* the L2 cache:  Xeons' L2 cache run at full *processor* speed; non-Xeon Pentium III's  L2 cache (I think) run at only bus speed -- 100
MHz or whatever.  ...In addition, Xeons come in several flavors--the size of the L2 cache.  The smallest I think has 512 k L2 cache; the high-end one has 2 MB of L2 cache.  I can't remember what the regular Pentium III's L2 cache size is (256k?)

So, performance can be increased by either (best: both!) dual-processor setups, *and* Xeon processors.

ian