Re: W95 Shortcut to BMI Offline?

> I recently switched from W3.1 to W95.

Geeze Jim, you're really surfing on the leading edge aintcha.  :-)

I wouldn't have recommended going to W95.  It has lots of stability
problems.  You'd be a lot better off to just make the leap to W2k.
Or if that's too recent for you :-) you could at least move to NT --
it's light-years more solid than W9x.

> That start menu is pretty powerful once you get the hang of it.
> Open up Windows Explorer and drill down under the Windows folder
> until you find a folder named Start Menu.

There's an easier way:  right-click on the Start button and select
"Explore."  That brings up the Explorer in the Start Menu.

> There won't be any executables in there, just tiny "shortcuts" to
> executables, identified by the little arrow on the icon. You can
> right click on a shortcut icon, select properties and, if you want,
> modify the command line parameters.

Right.  That's how you can find out what those shortcuts are doing,
including the magic parameters for the offline server.  Just click on
the "Shortcut" tab.

Another useful feature:  you can assign a hotkey to any shortcut.  So
for example you can go to Start Menu -> Programs -> Omega Research ->
Offline Data Server for BMI, right-click on it and select Properties,
click the Shortcut tab to see the shortcut, and then click in the
"Shortcut key" box.  Then type "O" and hit OK.  Now you can launch
the offline server by typing Ctrl-Alt-O.

Gary