Re: HD access times

Another setting you’ll want to enable if your computer supports it is
DMA (direct memory access). Normally data takes a path from the hard
drive to the CPU (central processing unit) to the system RAM (and vice
versa). DMA bypasses the CPU, letting the drive and the RAM communicate
more directly and efficiently. Enabling DMA on a drive, including CD-ROM
and DVD-ROM drives, that supports the technology can dramatically reduce
the stuttering and pauses computer users experience while playing games
or working with large, complex files.

I don't know if this will help or not in Win2000, but I get better
performance when "DMA" is set to "on" in Win98.  Here are some