Re: HD access times

> I ran this utility. I do not trust its results.

Yeah, I think they are deceptive when you are running NT with NTFS and
disk caching. I remembered the old Wintune program I used to run with
Win 95. It tests disk performance along with tons of other stuff.
Windows Mag is out of business but I tracked down the latest version the
program at

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,18831,00.html

The summary uncached disk speed from Wintune sounds dog slow for my
system, even worse than it did with that other test, but the performance
with caching is pretty decent, like 100 times faster. The uncached
read/write performance is interesting, I guess, but what I really care
about is the real world performance with caching.

The only bad thing about the latest version of the program is the
"advice" part was moved onto a web page link that doesn't work any more
since WinMag went out of business. But you can still get all the
performance numbers for 95, 98, NT, 2K from the program itself.

Disk results for a medium-slow NT system with a bunch of other apps
running....

Summary
264 cached disk MB/s
2.4 uncached disk MB/s