Re: Radar Screen Performance

Raid0 is stripping.
Raid1 is mirroring.

-Raid 0 Characteristics/Advantages:
RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks
and each block is written to a separate disk drive
I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many
channels and drives
-RAID 0 Disadvantages:
The failure of just one drive will result in all data in an array being lost
Should never be used in mission critical environments
I think trading is in this category so ...

-Raid1 Characteristics/Advantages:
One Write or two Reads possible per mirrored pair
Twice the Read transaction rate of single disks, same Write transaction
rate as single disks
100% redundancy of data means no rebuild is necessary in case of a disk
failure, just a copy to the replacement disk
Transfer rate per block is equal to that of a single disk
Under certain circumstances, RAID 1 can sustain multiple simultaneous drive
failures
Simplest RAID storage subsystem design
-Raid 1 Disadvantages:
Highest disk overhead of all RAID types (100%) - inefficient
Typically the RAID function is done by system software, loading the
CPU/Server and possibly degrading throughput at high activity levels.
Hardware implementation is strongly recommended
May not support hot swap of failed disk when implemented in "software

So configuration should be : Raid 1 (2 disks) or Raid0+1 (4 disks) and not
Raid0

Time to access disk: milli seconds
Time to access Memory: Micro seconds
Ratio: 1/1000