Re: Radar Screen Performance

  • To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Radar Screen Performance
  • From: "Jon Macmichael" <jonmac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:34:43 -0700

Regarding the RAID query:

My brother recently installed a Promise Raid Card  with two of the new IBM
dtla 20g h-drives. He doesn't trade but uses Photoshop and so on. Two things
are most impressive with the set-up.

#1. as the RAID is stripped the reading and writing from/to the h-drive was
incredibly fast.

#2. the IBM's have a quiet utility. This is adjustable via a slider. So set
to about half it makes the drive super quiet. Set to full then the drive is
basically inaudible.

Now the problems:

#1. I believe the acoustic utility uses some resources.

#2. Only having the drives installed for a few weeks, and having setup w2000
he has tried defragging and the computer locks up on the main partition.
Evidently he's found that Microsoft are aware of some problem here!!!! Now
he's also found that one of the drives is faulty and as it was bought OEM
he's got problems. No warranty. To stripe, both drives need to be identical
and his new drives have already been superceded. So with the cost of the
RAID card plus the extra drive (MB rate up about 300%?), then, when one
drive fails and you replace two drives, so your into an expensive exercise.

Myself: with a new Dell which came with a Maxtor drive, I found they also
have an acoustic utility which I've loaded. Currently its quieter, but yet
to test it with the live data and any resource implications.

A computer wizz has often suggested to me that hard drives are a limiting
factor to general speed of computers.

At least for me the noise of the continual reading-writing drives me nuts.

Jon