Re: Trading Systems

Mr. Chan, you make an interesting point.

I have often wondered where the priorities should lie.

1) Is it more important to pre-ascertain a market's "signature" and mate
that market to a particularly effective system (trend/reversal et al.), then
just feed the "good monkey" and spank the "bad monkey" and is this in
essence, optimization in reverse... or...

2) Is it more important to work harder at designing a system that
auto-adapts for multiple signatures/conditions, or ...

3) A combination of #1 and a non-trending filter that effectively shuts the
system down when a particular level of volitility is present (or not).

So far, (and I'm admittedly early in the curve here), and perhaps because of
my daytrading background, I've tended to gravitate towards creating a robust
trending system and feed it pre-screened stocks based on their ability to
bubble high up on a list of APR and Profit% in a custom OmniTrader RealTime
module I wrote.

Running the OT module at EOD lets me catch when stocks are changing their
"character" simply because they better "fit" or "fail" the trending system.
In this way, I detect the failure before the main TS system rolls over.

Of course certain stocks tend to stay near the top of this list nearly all
the time, and there is still descretion to filter out "news", and to set a
threshold for how good or bad a monkey becomes... ;-)

Food for thought... and very open to suggestion.

Gene
<DarkMagic>
http://www.UndergroundTrader.com/