Re: [Off topic] Best PCtoPC Internet phone?

At 10:06 AM 4/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
>At 4:19 AM -0400 4/29/01, Simon Campbell wrote:
>
>>I want to talk (over an internet connection) to one other trader in
another country during market hours.  Can anyone recommend a PC to PC
telephone program that:

>>- Avoids using ICQ (potential delays/congestion?)
>>- Direct IP to IP address contact
>>- No banners/advertising
>>- Good audio quality
>
>We use Speak Freely from http://www.speakfreely.org
>
>It provide a direct IP connection without going through a server and can be
left up 24 hours a day. No banners. Good quality.

I second that. It was initially developed by John Walker, the guy who
founded Autodesk, Inc. in 1982, was its president through 1986 and
chairman until 1988.

It's not the easiest / most-intuitive one to use, but I prefer it.
It has auto voice-activation (just speak over a threshold and it'll
transmit) and data encryption (many algorithms).

One can also implement his own LWL (Look-Who's-Listening) server, or
use ICQ to determine the other ends IP. Most people will probably want
to use ICQ for this purpose.