Re: TS Pro not updating all windows synchronously

Hello ,

Hello Leon,

LT> Recently I repeatedly have had a performance problem when using Tradestation
LT> Pro on my
LT> PII 300 MHz, W98-based PC with 256MB of DRAM (yes, I know, it is obsolete,
LT> and I am planning to replace it shortly).

LT> This occurs especially if the application has been running for a while.
LT> I would have several (6-8) workspaces open, each with 4-9 charts. In a
LT> workspace I may have 1-min, 5-min, daily, and time-and-sales windows open --
LT> all on one stock. Quite often, the 5-min chart would be updating, but the
LT> others would not, each window showing a different last price. When
LT> rebooting the PC, and restarting the application, the problem disappears,
LT> and all windows update reasonably synchronously.

I think the key clue here is "When rebooting the PC, and restarting the application, the problem
disappears,
and all windows update reasonably synchronously."  Short and easy answer I
believe is poor memory management by Win98.

LT> For this reason, I am planning to replace the PC with a new one that would
LT> have either NT4 or
LT> Windows 2000.

Highly recommend Windows 2k

LT> My purpose is to run TS Pro in a stable fashion, or if this
LT> fails, TS2000i with Signal
LT> I have several questions in this regard. I am willing to pay premium $ for
LT> premium performance

LT> 1. Any opinion on the choice between a PIII 1 GHz with SDRAM memory vs. P4
LT> 1.5 GHz with
LT> RDRAM (RAMBUS) memory ( I would get at least 768MB). One can get a PIII with
LT> either SDRAM or
LT> RDRAM. Any performance difference there?

You will get a performance increase but how much is another question.
Expect minor increases in the ability to read and write to memory
which give you the impression that the computer "is faster".

LT> 1.1.  Pentium 4, at this time, can be had only with RDRAM.  In this case,
LT> does a P4 1.5GHz run
LT> noticeably better with 800MH RDRAM vs. 600MHz -- for the purposes of TS Pro?

Don't run TS Pro myself but with any increase in mhz, sec., etc.,
you'll see a performance boost.

LT> 2. Any difference between NT4 and Windows 2000? TriKinetic supplies their
LT> machines with NT4.
LT> Any difference between the two in terms multi-monitor support?

Yes, with win2k, multi-monitor is significantly easier to install and
manage, IMHO.

LT> 3. Speaking of multiple monitors, has anyone used Matrox G200MMS card, and
LT> how
LT> has it been? TriKinetic uses Appian Graphics Geronimo Pro. The G200MMS has
LT> several features not present in the Geronimo Pro, such as DVI support for
LT> digital inputs of those
LT> flat-panel displays that have them.

I've always had a personal bias towards Matrox when it goes against
Appian Graphics.  IMHO, Appian cards are too expensive for what they
offer and Matrox is a better video card company that has better R & D
and ultimately products.
Personally have not used the G200MMS card but have used a G400 32mb DH
from matrox and they are one of the sweetest dual monitor card so I
don't think you'll be disappointed by the G200MMS.

LT> 3. Has anyone had any experience with TriKinetic machines, as well as this
LT> company's
LT> service and support? I am trying to choose between their high-end machine a
LT> Dell Precision Workstation.

I build my own computers but I have always found Dell computers to be
solid computers.  I recommend Dell to all my friends and users that
can not build their own computers if they can afford the extra premium
that Dell puts on it's computers.

LT> 4. Is anyone running a PIII with 2 CPUs? Is there any incremental
LT> improvement in performance attributable
LT> to the 2nd processor (I doubt it because TS Pro is not a multi-threaded
LT> application, but...)?

WinNT and Win2k will be able to take advantage of SMP with more than
one processor but if your application can not take advantage of SMP,
it's basically useless but I have heard people directing specific
programs that can't take advantage of SMP to specific a cpu, but I run
a single cpu system so can not speak of it with great confidence.

LT> Anyone out there running AMD's Athlon?

Yes :-)  Let's just say most of the techy people I know run AMD.
Intel has build a great brand name, which is the reason why people
still stay with Intel.  Digression here but "Intel inside" isn't what
it use to be since AMD has been making some great chips.

Note: I'm more of a computer techy than a successful trader, for now
at least.

--
Best regards,
 Tai                            mailto:traderjoe@xxxxxxxxxx