Re: Bid and Ask Size at a bottom?

John:

I can relate it to something I often saw before the cash FX market went to
EBS [Electronic Borker System]:

Your first inclination is to hit the bid, because there are what appear to
be huge offers above the market. But sometimes, what seems apparent, ain't
necessarily so. Prices get manipulated and any market maker that's worth
their weight in salt will soon learn how to get long at the bottom by
manipulating the quotes. Were you watching a market maker's Globex screen?
Or a vendor's squawk box or the CME's free quotes?

When I had large orders to buy US dollars against either the yen or the
dmks in the cash markets, the first thing I would do was go out and
'noisily' sell $100 million US. Then the fun begins...Once people "know"
you are selling or have an interest to sell, it's very easy to get 10 times
that amount in cheap dollars before everyone wakes up. It works the same
way in this situation. Someone was a quality buyer and you only saw what
they wanted you to see.

I'd also suggest that we hit very important price levels on the downside
today. As I said on my web site this afternoon, IF price is to remain in an
uptrend, it needs to find support at 1224 in the S&Ps and 1825 in the
Nasdaqs. There are open unfilled gaps below the 1211 level in the S&Ps and
1751 in the Nasdaqs...once one of those collapse, we may be right back at
new lows quickly. Maybe someone had a vested interest in buying at 1224?

Best,

Tim Morge
www.medianline.com