Re: Different Between Intraday and Daily Data?

At 4:13 PM -0700 4/9/01, BobR wrote:

>It looks like the old issue of theoretical DJIA vs actual.  Your intraday
>bars are the actual prices and the daily bars have the high and low as if
>all components made their high and low at the same time.

This appears to be the case. I went to the dowjones.com website and
they give values consistent with the intraday values.

It is strange that the values given in the charts in Dow Jones
publications such as Barrons use the theoretical.

I am told that Bridge reports the actual, not the theoretical.
Apparently some vendors report both with different symbols but Dial
Data does not appear to do so.

I once built an indicator once in TradeStation to calculate it on
one-minute bars from the 30 components, hoping to get the jump on the
calculated value, and the numbers were the same as the calculated
value and less than a few seconds faster. So I know the intraday
value is correct as of the price on each bar of the component.

I wonder who would even care about the theoretical. Perhaps it is a
holdover from the dark ages, (before computers), when it was probably
easier to calculate the high and low of the day from the highs and
lows of the components, since there would have been no practical way
to calculate it every few seconds...

Thanks for all the public and private responses.

Bob Fulks