EL help needed for catching breakouts out of a consolidation range

I would like to catch breakouts of a tight consolidation/trading range -
I am dealing with some problems in programming, because I am not so
familiar with EasyLanguage.

My idea was to compare two time frames - a shorter and a longer one. If
the percent figure for the shorter period is smaller then for the longer
period means that the stock is trading in a tighter range.

Input: length1 (10), length2 (20), percent (2);

If
 Highest (H,length1) / Lowest (L,length1) *100 -100 < percent
 and
 Highest (H,length2) / Lowest (L,length2) *100 -100 > percent
 then
  buy highest (H,length1) +2 Point Stop
 else
  sell lowest (l,length1) -2 point stop;

The problem is that I get signals even in trending periods.
Is it better to use truerange/averagetruerange/volatility ?
How can I implement the idea that the number of bars for the
consolidation range should be more or equal to 4 bars but not more of 9
bars ?

Any ideas/help appreciated.
Andreas