needing help and advice on maxbarsback

I have a great number of studies that deliver data to other programs using
fileappends. When doing this, it seems that a maxbarsback setting of auto
makes the data a little less reliable, and also must cause a lot of
calculation overhead. (My belief is that a maxbarsback of auto just means
Tradestation first tries with a low number, when it hits a problem with that
number it increases maxbarsback and then tries again). This is correct?
Anyone know the algorithm for how it increases maxbarsback?

Now, when I am planning to change this setting, I am afraid of causing
errors that I do not have today.

The manual recommends to always set it to at least 50. Why? I can not see
any good reason?

If using the workchart assistant for scanning a lot of stocks and having a
maxbarsback setting that is too low, will I ever get an error message
telling me if maxbarsback is too low? Or will I just have a number of
indicators that did not deliver data for some stocks? Or was even turned
off? Anyone could give me some hints on this?

--- Mats ---