Win 2000/XP

 Thanks to Jerry, Kimball, Tai, Gary for thoughts regarding a)using
upgrade disc vs total new install of win2000 from 98se, and b)2000 vs
XP. Frankly I don't know what to make of XP at this point. MS says it's
based on 2000 code but extends functionality for wider applications
compatibility.
 The most controversial aspect of XP is Micro$oft's embedded "Product
Activation" scheme, which Tai alluded to.
 The following is from a March 29 ZDnet article
(http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2702170,00.html):

"Only one thing bothers me--Microsoft's insistence on using Product
Activation, a technology that
checks as many as 15 hardware characteristics of the computer on which
you install your
software. If too many of those characteristics change in a short time
(Microsoft isn't telling what its
criteria are), it implies that you've tried to install the software on a
second computer, and
Microsoft won't automatically activate that copy. Luckily for business
users, Product Activation is
turned off for volume licenses."

Regards,
Monte