RE: Off-topic: Tape Backups

Recently OnStream closed up shop. I had one of their drives and found the
cartridges more unreliable than tape. I've about concluded that (real-time)
offsite backup is a realistic option given how inexpensive storage and
bandwidth has become.

Briefly, NT is backed up either EOD, or by the byte, to another location
where you can keep a box for this kind of service. The costs are looking
like $700 a year for 5GB of differential data that can be retrieved online
for any given period. It might seem expensive, but if you've experienced
unreadable media (statistically 1/3 of aged tapes are considered
unreadable), then it's a bargain to have offsite on demand media. A DSL
connection is adequate for EOD back ups. So what if it runs most of the
night!