Re: Off-topic: Tape Backups

Tim,

I've had good results  with a HP 40GB DAT tape-drive (U2W SCSI
interface) to back about 50GB (I guess that's what you meant, 50MB
reminds me of data needs 12-15 years ago ;-)

For disk-failure redundancy, try the mirroring which comes with
WinNT Server (4.0 or 2000) -- NT Workstation doesn't have it.
Much cheaper than the Hardware RAID solutions, but also less
performance. If you use NT's software mirroring with IDE disks,
make sure each disk operates on a different IDE channel -- or
use U2W SCSI if you don't mind spending some more $.

Norton Ghost is ofcourse another viable solution for doing backups
of whole partitions.

Be careful though that most M$ OSes sit so tightly on the hardware
(on-board chipsets etc) that if (knock on wood) you have a hardware
failure, you need an exact same system to get them to work.

Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions.

Hope this helped,