Re: Some general questions

With 6 programmers and worked for 6 months -
what you will get is something that will not even
run in real time :)

I mentioned in a prior post about software development
dilemma that more programmers working on a project,
the worst the number of bugs will be generated.

usually number of bugs double for each extra
programmer added to a team >= 3 persons.
remember that programmers are humans and they do
have different opinions on the same subject as
how should something be done.

thus quick and dirty is possible, but do not expect
anything fruitful for real-time. Offline applications
will work better using the quick and dirty model
as less quality assurance is needed.

most people highly underestimate the cost of
software development. the recent example is the
burst of internet dotcom companies. those stupid
venture capitals "thought" that web-based apps are
"easier" to develop and failed to realize the cost
of fixing those bugs and maintaining such programs
have a cost they cannot even imagine :)

one side issue is why you can get 6 good (i.e.
expensive) programmers sitting down together and
taking no money but working on a project for no
or very low profit?! This is a capitalist world
(at least in US) and the opportunity cost is so
high that I do not see that there is a reason for
people to do something that silly :)

-Lawrence
p.s. just imagine that if TS and TW are functional
would I waste time on creating another platform?
I would rather spend my time trading and research!

--- Jim <anncora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> you would be better off taking 6 good programmers
> and live in someone's
> garage and eating peanut butter for 6 months and it
> would cost you 1/100th
> of what purchasing Tradestation right now at it's
> low stock price...you
> could mirror image the same screens and logic as
> Tradestation...just change
> the core logic programs...some screen designs and
> data base fields and
> copyright it and Cruz could not touch you.......you
> could write it in C++
> or COBOL  for easy maintenance and on a pc system
> and use native SQL if
> necessary...not even use access... cost...if each
> person could support
> themselves for 6 months....ZERO...

=====
Lawrence Chan                http://www.tickquest.com
Home of trading tools NeoBreadth and NeoTicker series