Re[3]: Lagging moving averages?

Hello ztrader,

I've used JMA for several months now (along w Mark Jurik's other
indicators).  I  use the JMA almost exclusively to smooth a data
series (raw price, other indicators).  As Mark repeats often, it is a
proxy for price.  The concept of price crossing over the JMA is very
limited in meaning as far as I can tell.

A useful visual aid for me is to plot a 5 period JMA with Kaufman's
Adaptive MA.  Inspection of such achart will reveal a lot intuitively
about noise.

Best regards,
 Jim Johnson

Saturday, March 24, 2001, 1:07:09 PM, you wrote:

z> On Saturday, March 24, 2001, 8:15:32 AM, Gary Fritz wrote:

GF>> E.g. for an equivalent amount of lag (delay), JMA and T3 will have
GF>> MUCH less noise (whipsaws) than simpler tools like xaverage.

z> You bring up an interesting point, and it sounds as though you are
z> (roughly) equating noise with whipsaws. The 'real' definition of noise
z> seems to be a bit elusive. :-) Could you, perhaps, elaborate on this
z> seeming equivalence between noise and whipsaws?

z> I would agree that JMA, etc have less 'noise' than others, given the
z> criteria of equivalent lag, but the whipsaw issue is not as clear. For
z> example, allowing a bit of offset/lag can also reduce whips. This
z> could lead to the conclusion that lag is not so bad after all. Heresy,
z> I know. :-) But how does one show that this conclusion, stated in the
z> original post, is not valid?

z> ztrader

--
                        mailto:jejohn@xxxxxxxxx