Re[2]: Lagging moving averages?

On Saturday, March 24, 2001, 8:15:32 AM, Gary Fritz wrote:

GF> E.g. for an equivalent amount of lag (delay), JMA and T3 will have
GF> MUCH less noise (whipsaws) than simpler tools like xaverage.

You bring up an interesting point, and it sounds as though you are
(roughly) equating noise with whipsaws. The 'real' definition of noise
seems to be a bit elusive. :-) Could you, perhaps, elaborate on this
seeming equivalence between noise and whipsaws?

I would agree that JMA, etc have less 'noise' than others, given the
criteria of equivalent lag, but the whipsaw issue is not as clear. For
example, allowing a bit of offset/lag can also reduce whips. This
could lead to the conclusion that lag is not so bad after all. Heresy,
I know. :-) But how does one show that this conclusion, stated in the
original post, is not valid?

ztrader