Von: Kimball Morgan [mailto:km11@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 16:21
An: Omega List
Betreff: Re: Blackouts

Jack,

The last blackout found me sans UPS.  I had TS2K and the Server open, and
had to rebuild from backups.  After finding most of the holes the
double-shutdown created, I had given about 2-1/2 hours of blood.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought an APC UPS unit, which will support ~15min.
of battery backup to the computer, monitor, and DSL modem.  Theoretically,
plenty of time to close out any open positions and shut down in an orderly
fashion.  We'll see.

As far as my ISP, I'm not sure what part of the grid they're on.  Certain
areas are left alone during shutdowns, like hospital zones, large
laboratories, etc., due to possible life-threatening circumstances.  If the
ISP is located in a safe zone, one might think it would remain connected.

If for some reason everything went down, it's time to get out the cell
phone...

Kimball Morgan