Re: [Off topic] Need help understanding DSL

Your best bet is an Ethernet NIC.  3-Com or IBM are top of the line, but
more expensive than the garden variety --  In most cases, a cheaper
(LinkSys, etc.) will suffice, but I've seen situations where it was
necessary to upgrade to 3-Com to avoid PCI IRQ conflicts.

If you're not comfortable putzing around inside your computer box and
installing a NIC, you can get a USB adapter that will plug into a Serial
Port and go that route.  It won't match the speed of an Ethernet link --

I'm not familiar with a "DSL" Router, but LinkSys has a very popular
BEFSR41 that works with both DSL & Cable -- I have several and they work
well --  One very primary advantage is providing a hardware firewall which
is essential if you're moving to a direct Net connection --