Re: Off topic: Why a 2 in smoothing factor of XAverage?

--- Lawrence Chan <stnahc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jack,
>
> I indirectly answered the question of
> why factor = 2 / (Length + 1) :)
>
> due to the base case of 0 that the writer wanted to
> have, than Length = 1 must somehow agree to
> the current price only.
>
> To resolve that notice when length = 1,
> factor = 2 / (1 + 1) = 1, which will do the
> trick of making the previous xaverage term
> multiply by 0.

Ahhh, now I see what they were thinking.  Thanks.

What I find interesting is that the 2 is significant,
while the +1 isn't.   Funny that they changed the
significant part to accommodate a perceived deficiency
of an insignificant part.

> thus you must use 2 on top if you want
> length = 0 works ....
>
> SystemWriter comes from a time of dark ages
> in mathematics I guess :)
>
> Still have this damn thing - but cannot run it
> on any of my computer in the office anymore,
> even though they are more powerful ...

Like it or not, SystemWriter, 2000, TS2000i, are all
getting close to being old junk software now.  Like
the DOS 5.0ers were to Windows you guys will
eventually upgrade (albeit screaming all the way to
the store). Plenty of traders still clinging to the
past with a firm grip.

Cheers,
Jack