AW: The Ross Hook and Babcock

Buyer beware!

In 1993/1994, Joe Ross ran a fax service called "Research Considerations."
For some time I subscribed to it, but Joe wasn't very successful. Most
recommendations that I saw turned out losers. It also transpired that
accounts managed by Joe Ross had to be closed because he had lost too much
money for his clients. Joe Ross himself made mention of this fact in a
newsletter which I still have somewhere here in my office.

Though I agree there is also some good information in Joe's books, I would
be very careful with a number of his "creative" ideas which can lead to
financial suicide. For instance, what do you do when you've incurred a loss?
Simple, you blithely sell naked options, and the premium received will fill
up your account again. He calls this principle "selling your losses to
someone else". Do I need to explain how disastrous this can be?

Another pet method of his is the purchase multiple contracts with the
stipulation to sell part of them a minute later when you have made a few
ticks on them. This is supposed to serve to "cover commissions". In his day
trading book "Trading by the Minute", he tries to follow this recipe in some
of his S&P examples; some are so chaotic on account of these many contracts
bought and sold that it becomes immediately obvious to any professional the
guy could never have traded these examples in real life. No wonder he
couldn't produce any account statements.

So please be careful. Joe's books are quite entertaining to read, though,
and if you treat them as great trading fiction literature, you will be safe.

Regards,

Michael Suesserott