RE: stocks suck...electronic futures "rule"-margin requirements

I  wondered about the validity of the a 50% margin requirement statement. I
assumed it was an error.
The poster must have gotten confused with sec rules regarding securities.
Of course this instrument is not a security but a futures contract. But
anything is possible if the sec wants to be apart of the regulatory body
overseeing  it. I agree if a 50% margin turns out to be the requirement
then why have it? The ability to sell it without an uptick or borrow the
stock would be the only advantage. The foreign futures exchanges have
futures contracts written on a select number of US stocks now. I don't know
if trading has commenced yet nor what margins they have in place for them.
Only US citizens can not trade them.

Robert