Re: Reliable backup tape system

>  CompUSA has a 20 gig external USB disk drive for $200. Not as fast or
>  powerful as an internal drive, but sure is easy to hook up, and
expandable.
>  It would certainly be faster than a tape drive, and you could easily swap
>  between computers.

A thought I had recently is instead of tape backups or an extra hard disk or
an external hard disk, computers are cheap enough to buy a second computer
for backups (or use an old computer if you have a spare around). Then, there
was a review of LapLink for USB where the author proposed this. As well as
file transfer, LapLink also has remote control ability, so he made the point
that you don't need to hook up a monitor and keyboard to the backup computer.
Rather you can remotely control it from the main computer. The point of this
is that if your main computer stops working, you have a spare ready to go. It
is better than backups which have to be restored. If you keep both computers
set up and back up your files to the backup computer, if something goes wrong
you can switch to the backup computer just by switching your monitor and
keyboard.

Rather than spend $200 for an external hard drive, look for a cheap computer
for $400 or $600, and then I think the LapLink is around $150 additional. I'm
not quite at the point of running out and doing this myself, but the prices
of computers are at a price level where this starts to look attractive. It is
an interesting idea.