Re: More TL...no, a TS2k problem

Hi Mark,

I've been a little burnt by Win2000 upgrade as well.

I had my TS2000 working fine under NT (on Dell 420 dual CPU) with Neuroshell and
other software.  If I had the choice (as Mark Brown suggests) I would still run
NT.   To run an upgraded data feed (in Australia) I also needed to upgrade to
Win2000 to get USB support.

Well the machine started to crash once or twice each morning around market opening
when I was crunching my numbers, but never seemingly in a pattern.  The data
supplier thought it was a component failing.  The machine would also die if the
decoder was switched off.  Wasn't sure if this was a USB "feature" or not.

I have been reading with interest the woes of others on the list and their
suggestions:

(1) Supplier provided an upgrade of the bit decoder - no effect
(2) Remove Win2000 SP1 - no effect
(3) Disable a CPU - loathe to do this
(4) Graphics card problems - I had all the Dell patches for Win2000 installed

Over the weekend I had to reinstall Win2000 to eliminate any likely errors with a
virus that had got past Norton.  I also increased my total page files from about
1.2GB to 1.5GB.

But the other thing I did was defragment my disks (using the Win2000 defrag), and
now find the machine has not crashed the past few days!

How to explain that?  I can't - but folk may want to add swap file size and defrag
as option (5).

Hope this might help others on the list.  Appreciate the war stories that have been
published on the list.  Like most of you I only want to trade, not get messed around
by the OS or whatever.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Chris