Free/fixed rate long distance services consumer report

>Someone expressed an interest in the free phone services I use, so here's
>a summary in case others also haven't discovered these on their own yet.
>
>http://www.phonefree.com/
>
>http://www.deltathree.com/
>

>http://www.dialpad.com/
>
>http://www.go2call.com/
>

>The above are free.  They're not terribly reliable, but one or more of
>these 4 should be working at any given moment, and since they're all free,
>it doesn't cost extra to sign up for all of them.  Of these, the best
>sound quality is probably phonefree, with dialpad being a close 2nd, then
>deltathree.
>
>I wound up paying $CDN 30 a month for Northvoice
>
>http://www.northvoice.ca/us/
>
>because I can use a regular phone at both ends with this service, whereas
>the completely free services require a PC at the call originating end and
>I found that sometimes the voice conversation was tying up too much of my
>ADSL bandwidth during the day.  There are also some restrictions as to
>which countries the various services can place calls to.  Northvoice lets
>me make calls to US and Canadian numbers for the flat $30 a month whereas
>the other services lets me make calls only to telephones within the lower
>contiguous US states from my PC.  These restrictions are changing and may
>well have changed.  I've not gone back to these websites to verify what
>the most current deal is.

All of the above mentioned services use VOIP technology to route phone
calls over the internet.

I have no connection with any of these companies.  I'm just reporting on my
own experiences with these products on the basis that if one person is
interested, others may be also.