Re: TradeLab Software

I'm not a TL expert or promoter (nor do I play one on TV :-), but:

> if  fact  does  tradelab  even  have the capability to make a tick
> bar chart?   i  know it can do single tick by tick charts - but i
> have not seen  anywhere  that allows tick "BAR" charts - example 5-
> 20 tick bar charts.

Yes, it can.  Jim Gavey posted some tick-bar charts on RT.  See
http://www.egroups.com/message/realtraders/493

> also since tradelab uses the uniserv ver 2 i guess tick data can
> not be pasted into the data base in case of a crash? very
> precarious indeed if that is the case.

I don't believe this is true.  With basic UMDS it would be, but that's why
Bob wrote the TLData module.  Since the website describes TLData as a
"sophisticated, real-time database management system," I would expect it to
be able to handle basic operations like pasting in data.

> now he wants to charge 2000.00 per year

Where do you see "per year"?  As far as I can tell that's a one-time
charge.  There will be other fees for support &etc, but I believe the $1990
fee only gets charged once.  Back in Jan. 1999 he said he planned to charge
$1750 plus $50/mo ongoing maintenance/support fee, but I'm not sure what
his plans are now.

> while he has not finished the most basic thing would need in a
> program - backtesting - optimization and data maintenance "

I think the data maintenance is there.  Backtesting & optimization isn't,
and that's what I'd want from it too.  But there are lots of people who can
use it without writing systems, and presumably that's who would buy it now.
 Is it better for their needs than TS?  Beats me.

Gary