Re: Remote TS use?

>Subject:         Remote TS use?
 > Date:         Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:58:55 -0600
>  From:         "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
>    To:         omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>For a variety of reasons I'm trying to find out if I can run TS
>remotely, away from the PC that actually connects to the BMI box.
>
>I was thinking I could use some kind of PCAnywhere-like solution to
>get remote access to the PC.  I hope I can run PCAnywhere (or
>equivalent) over a LAN cable, since I'm just looking to relocate my
>work area within my house part-time.  LAN would give me high data
>rates.
>
>I'm wondering how this would work with TS.  Has anyone tried this?
>Would I run the Server on my main PC, then link in from the remote PC
>to run TS on it?  I don't understand the details of how these remote-
>access tools handle deciding which screen to display on & the like.
>
>Thanks for any pointers --
>Gary

Since you're talking about a limited area, you should look into
the new CAT-5 devices by Cybex and Raritan.  These usually go
with their KVM switches, but can have multiple ports themselves.
What they do is multiplex KVM onto a single CAT-5 cable, which then
can run hundreds of feet.  You have a decoder box and your monitor/
mouse/keybd at the receiving end.  Regrettably, you can't use the
Ethernet LAN cable for this.  But you don't need to - the computer,
wherever it is, is connecteed to the LAN.

(Actually you now can run KVM remotely over a LAN with Cybex's new
DS1800 Digital KVM.  But is costs $10K :-)

I haven't used these devices yet, but I'm thinking about the Cybex
LongView Companion.  It has local and remote ports, and also adds
audio and a serial port to the mix. Great for the BMI able feed!

A hint - you could add multiple 'terminals' if you can buy extra
receivers.  Just run the device output into a 4-port RJ45 switch
box, and you can select any of four terminals for use.  But not
simultaneously.

donc