Re: W2000 install/adsl line

  • To: "Philip Nixon" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: W2000 install/adsl line
  • From: "Charlie Waring" <cwwaring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:10:05 -0700

Philip, I had a similar problem of the the line going down...up in the
morning but degrading all day till it dropped off.  Two weeks with Abysmal
Support Inc. and a call to the excutive offices of SBC corp finally got me
some attention.  Two weeks more with a nice fellow in tech support... we
check ed everything from the house lines to the local switches. replaced the
alcatel modem with the ppOe modem.....finally attributed the cause to the
line speed.  I was set to 1.5 Mb and apparently the line was losing sync
when it tried to reach those speeds.  the solution was to cap the line at
384 kbs which is good enough for me...not a single problem since then.

What the DUN..for?   I really suggest you set it up on the LAN maybe with a
linksys router between you and the modem and get Zonealarm  from www.grc.com
for a firewall.  And go to www.speedguide.net for some registry tweaks.

Charlie
PIII/256wintel2000 using a 1024MB permanent swapfile