where are your systems tonight?

I'm behind in my reading, only this morning did I read John Sweeney's
editorial, "Opening Position," in the Sept issue of TASC. He starts with,
"It's time to start thinking about where you want your processing power.
And your data."

He points out that if you can depend on your software vendor's data source,
it's probably worth using. But most data vendors rely too much on their raw
datafeeds and don't feel they need to hire the staff necessary for error
checking, relying instead on automated systems.

Sweeney discusses the issue of security citing "...clear evidence of
threats to the integrity of centralized processing and content storage." He
concludes, "Not to be paranoid, but why take chances with screens, systems,
and portfolio information?"

He ends the editorial with, "Maybe Omega Research, for one, will pull a
rabbit out of its hat and demonstrate EasyLanguage implementation via a
Website, but judging by the intricacy of creating TradeStation over the
years, I doubt it will happen soon. Thousands of new traders will be
introduced to technical analysis at Websites, but when they start to trade
on their own, they will be smart to buy the best hardware, software, and
data they can find to put on their own machine."

Well written and well thought out editorial. Thank you Mr Sweeney.