Re: Exponential moving average

> what difference does it make whether we add (or subtract) a "1" to the
> denominator?  Is this somehow more elegant?   I don't see it.

Geez, talking about making mountains out of molehills. :-) Try a "1 day"
average and you will see why the +1 is needed. As I said before, the
formula for the smoothing constant is just one that works out pretty
well to give a lag and smoothing similar to a simple average. If you
want to get technical, it's trying to make an IIR filter give similar
output to an FIR filter using the same input. Seems like a pretty
reasonable convention to me.

--
  Dennis