OT: The Road to System Design?

Greetings omega-list,

  I'm curious about how the journey, that many of you have taken, with the
  goal of being able to design systems in order to back test ideas and
  concepts would be generally outlined.  Below are my thoughts on how
  one would embark on such a journey and I would like to hear the
  groups suggestions or insights that I might have missed.

  1) The first and fundamental step is to be able to program in a language that will
  allow you to code a system, whether it is C++, VB, Matlab or
  EasyLanguage.

  2) Understanding data and how to make it malleable so to allow your
  program to accept it.

  3) Understand how to develop a system with regards to risk,
  draw down, etc..

  4) Finally be able to test ideas and concepts through programming.

  Among each stage, there are an infinite number of tasks, but would
  you agree these are the overall steps one would need to take?
  Comments welcomed, insight appreciated.

--
Best regards,
 Tai Nguyen                      mailto:tainguyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx