R: Neural Networks for trading

Hi Mark,

I think that a good trading model must be simple.

I think the right way is to concentrate all your energy in understinding the
phase (NL) of the market as my friend Riccardo Ronco has done in his work
about the use of Chaos Theory in real market trading.

Yes , markets are non linear dynamic system and NN are a powerful tool to
study financial time series but also a simple trading system with two
simple entries: stochastic 80-20 and a channel breakout, can be also most
powerful than NN if you know the condition you need to validate trendy entry
or countertrend.

And you can program all under MS Excel without the need of K$ software.

More important is that if I look at a chart I can tell you excactly when and
why the model has taken the trade, a thing you can't do with NN. You can use
a decision tree algoritm like C.4.5. but you can't get the same rules, only
an approssimation.

Also Fuzzy logic seems a great tool but if you test hard it you will arrive
at the conclusion that they have the same problem of an overbought/oversold
oscillator during a strong trend.

Probably you can use a bit of NN and Fuzzy to develop only a part of your
strategy but personally I will never put my money on a semi black box.

For me 3 are the points:

- Know the market that has more potential profit.
- know what the market is doing now and apply the right rules.
- Concentrate the resources only on trades with high potential reward.

This is my opinion.

Nicola Prada