Re: Security Block not found!!! Please Help

  • To: "Dave Humes" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Security Block not found!!! Please Help
  • From: "Doug" <dcarder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:21:24 -0700

This document provides instructions for running the SSIACT (Speed
measurement utility device) for testing the security block in Windows 95.

Please remember to close all programs before running this test. If a printer
is attached, remember to have it on before running the test.

First, click on the Start button.
Then go to Programs and click on MS-DOS Prompt.
The DOS prompt should be running in full screen mode. This means the screen
will be completely black, with the DOS text in white. No other "windows"
should be seen with exception of the DOS screen. If this is not the case,
change to full screen mode by clicking on the Properties icon on the menu
bar. Select the Screen tab and select Full Screen Mode. Click OK.
At the prompt type CD C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT. Then hit <ENTER>.
At the prompt (C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>) type SSIACT and hit <ENTER>.
This will start the Speed Measurement Utility. At the "Hit enter when ready"
message, make sure the security block is attached properly and then hit
<ENTER>.
The test will begin followed by "MEASURING". A message will appear stating,
"The optimal parameters for this computer is SET SSI_ACT=" followed by
series of numbers. Copy down the series of numbers.
At the prompt (C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>) type EXIT. This will return to the
WINDOWS environment.
Click on Start | Run menu sequence.
At the Command Line edit box type SYSEDIT and click OK.
This will bring up the System Configuration Editor. In the AUTOEXEC.BAT
window, scroll down to the line: "SET SSI_ACT=10,10,10" (10,10,10 is the
default setting). Change 10,10,10 to the series of numbers from the test in
DOS (Results of step 7).
Click on File, then Save.
Now click on File and Exit. Now reboot; and restart the server.