Re: NASDAQ stop activation

In a message dated 8/5/00 7:02:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bkmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Is it true that NASDAQ stops are activated off of the bid and not off of the
>  last trade?

There are no stops on NASDAQ. Any such function is a handled by the broker.

>  I placed a MM stop with Datek that was activated even though a trade never
>  took place at that price.  It caused me to lose a significant amount of
>  money because the stock turned around before a trade took place at the stop
>  price.  They refused to block the trade stating it was NASDAQ policy to
>  activate off the bid price.

Whomever told you this was blowing smoke since there are no NASDAQ stops.

>  Datek's web site states that stop orders are activated when a trade takes
>  place at the stop price.  It does not mention bid prices nor does it
>  distinguish between NASDAQ and other markets.  When this was brought up to
>  them, I was told "sorry for the inconvenience".
>
>  Two additional questions:
>
>  1.  Can anything be done as far as breaking the trade with Datek?
>
>  2.  How can this be accounted for in TS?  Since the system does not show
>  that a trade took place, it screws up additional signals for the stock.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Barry

When you talk to a person at Datek their number one goal is to get you off
the phone, so they'll tell you anything to get rid of you. Demand to speak to
a supervisor and have lots of throat lozenges handy. Be prepared to do lots
of yelling, these people are from Joisey.