COT report for SnP

The COT report isn't something I pay a lot of attention to,  being a stock
investor/trader,  but I have kept one eye on the SP500 report, more as general
interest than as any indicator. It seems the large commercials are at a recent
historic net short position.  Is any of this due to the change in the reporting
levels? I never paid any attention to the old levels,  so I don't know how
much,
or even if,  they were changed and what effect if any this might have on the
report.
I feel certain many on this list are right on top of this.

If this net short position is truly as large as it looks compared to the past,
what might be the reason for it?  Is it just massively increased hedging
(from fear?), or a big bet on the market direction?  Or is there another
explanation?

David