Re: Real Life Stories

Jerry:

My response may not be what you are looking for, but here goes:

I had been trading for about 18 years when I finally decided to go on the floor
of the CME. My wife actually suggested it, because she kept hearing me talk
about how the pits are slowing disappearing. Her thought: I'd been trading on
the phone with the CME and CBOT all these years. Would I feel like I missed
something if I hadn't spent some time trading in the pits?

Once I began the registration process for getting a CME seat, I spent the next
six weeks or so with a visitor pass to the pits and I tried to spend the whole
trading day in the pits. For me, there was so much noise and action going on
that I needed to acclimate myself to the pit environment. By the time my seat
came through, it was clear that the pits were a very different place to trade,
relative to my past trading environments. It was extremely easy to be 'swayed'
into positions by the noise and enthusiasm of the pits.

To solve this issue for me, each morning at breakfast at the Merc club [CME
members restaurant], I put down a game plan for the trading day in the various
commodities I planned to trade that day. The most important thing I learned was
that to trade in the pits without a plan was much worse than trading in the pits
with a *bad* plan. Pick a plan of action for the day and then do your best to
execute it. I would print out swing charts and then run my retracements and
projections, support and resistance. Then I'd put these levels into a table that
was easy to read and I marked the important levels in red with a highlighting
marker. On the top of that table, I printed very clearly the two or three things
I planned to accomplish that trading session in that commodity--so I might have
written down that in my swing trade analysis, I would be looking for a place to
sell. And once I got short, I would be looking for XX as support and YY as my
stop-loss level.

Of course, there were mornings when the plan was useless in the first fifteen
minutes of trading--a large gap opening, for example, or a surprise in an
economic number released at 7:30. In that case, I left the pits and went back to
the office of my clearing firm and ran new charts and made new tables and
developed a new plan. I *did not* walk right behind the pits and use the readily
available CQG and FutureSource machines for a quick look and feel--I found
quickly that that was like taking sugar or a drug that spurred me to trade with
poor analysis. To get to my clearing firm's office, I had to go down the
escalator and then up the elevators. I found that the ten or fifteen minute
action of leaving the floor and getting into an office cleared my mind and
allowed me to re-think the markets.

What did I look at when I was literally in the pits? You don't have to look at
the boards for prices. Everyone standing around is shouting and using hand
signals. If you are trying to read prices off of the board, it usually means you
are disoriented. About the only time I would use the price boards was when I was
trading something that was being driven by a different commodity. For example,
if I was in the Dmark pit and the DM was rallying based on a really strong yen,
I would keep my eyes on the yen prices on the board. At that time, the yen pit
was not particularly close to the DM pit [several pits away] but you could
always hear when the yen made a new high or low--the noise is unmistakable in a
running market.

Other than looking at news releases as they are flashed up on the boards, I
didn't find much use for them. I did not watch the Qcha in the S&Ps, for
example; but then, I was never a scalper.

I had a great time in the CME pits. It isn't for everyone--in fact, after six
months or so, I found that I was walking into the pits and then executing; then
I leave the pits until prices got near my stop or profit levels. That's pretty
much what I do all day in my trading office, so I got rid of my seat. Trading
for six hours in the CME pits takes an incredible amount of stamina and energy.
I think most people think the locals stand around at a party, waiting to steal
money from you when you place an order. It's really hard work. If you get the
chance to go on the floors of the exchanges, go! There's no experience like pit
trading.

Best,

Tim Morge