Re: Black-Ice vs. ZoneAlarm

  • To: "Allan Kaminsky" <allan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Black-Ice vs. ZoneAlarm
  • From: "Bob Scott" <rlscott@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:15:35 -0700

On Friday, June 23, 2000 9:20 AM Allan Kaminsky wrote:
>Here's the best solution. Use a hardware firewall. I just installed
>SonicWALL SOHO and it's a dream. None of the problems of the software
>firewalls. Also, this box is configurable to provide NAT and/or DHCP, as
>well as stateful packet filtering, content filtering, address list
>maintenance, etc

I use a Linksys router with ZoneAlarm as a secondary shield.  When I was
using only ZA I was recording intrusions several times a day.  Since I added
the router ZA has only detected one intrusion and I think it was someone
that somehow "latched on" to one of my web searches.  It apparently planted
several trojans which were trying to "call home" but ZA halted the activity.
Would "stateful packet filtering" of the SonicWALL have helped in this
situation?  For the time being I'll continue to run ZA behind the router.

Bob