Re: Off Subject (Sort of) Looking for notebook recommendation

Yes, that is so true, it happened to me a few days ago on a W2000 machine.
Advise is don't try installing hardware or software unless you are sure it
is w2000 compatible.  I installed a weecam(era) on the parallel port and
things seemed to be functioning until the machine was rebooted.  Responce
was one long beep followed by some short beeps which mean't the POST could
not get past the video initialization.  The machine had a Matrox G400
Millenium Max dual port board.  There was zero video display, can't do much
without a BIOS display or c:\.  The bios was configured for AGP default on
initialization.  So, what I did was pull an ATI PCI video board from another
machine and plug it in.  Luckily the POST found the PCI video card and I
could then hit DEL to get into the BIOS settings to change the init default
to PCI video.  Turns out the problem was caused by a need for weecam driver
upgrades.  They had somehow disabled the AGP slot or the port #1 on the
Matrox card.

BobR