Re: Exporting data from TS2000i

At 8:55 PM -0700 6/19/00, Robert Marlan wrote:

>I would like to export some tick data from TS2000i, to some other
>data analysis programs in metastock format. I noted that the *only*
>export function is in omega format - unreadable by all else@! Is
>there any way I can convert some data to either metastock or ascii
>(if necessary). Or.... are the ticks stuck in TS forever????

You can set TS2000i to display a 1-tick chart with nothing except the
price chart on the screen.

Then under "View" "Data Window", click on the small icon in the upper
left corner of the Data Window and select "Send to File".

This will give you a comma-delimited ASCII file of the tick data
(which can be very large).

I recently created a 240,000 bar ASCII file of back-adjusted tick
data as follows:

   > create several tick-based ASCII files as above with each
     file containing fewer than 64K bars (a limit for Excel).

   > import these one-by-one into Excel and offset the prices
     by the appropriate back-adjustment. Make sure each file
     starts and ends on the proper bar without gaps or overlap.

   > save the result as a series of ".csv" files.

   > open each file in Word and copy/paste the data into a
     single long text file. (Word can handle a very long file
     whereas Excel cannot.)

   > save the resulting large file as a ".txt" file.

I was then able to read the resulting 240,000 bar file back into
TS2000i SP5 for backtesting over several contracts of tick data.
(According to Omega tech support there is no limit on the size of a
file you can import into TS2000i.)

Bob Fulks