Detrend (was RE: [rogue-traders] somebody home? [Neural Networks])

I guess my question was what are you doing exactly when detrending data?
I've seen it used outside of market analysis for spectral data analysis.  Is
it used simply for smoothing or momentum.  It sounds like it could be
classified as a momentum indicator.