Re: $25K "Deposit" for Globex Terminal???

Dear Patrick,

Two years ago I spent a week on the floor next to several guys I had met who
were members.  Among the other things that I saw were just what you mentioned
here, namely, ex-floor traders who had "graduated" by getting their own Globex
terminal and were now trading from the first or second row of desks just above
the top-step brokers.  These guys were true scalpers, trading relatively large
size on the E-Mini for no more than a few ticks (with limit orders) based on a
variety of strategies, among them simply watching the interplay between the
phone brokers at their desks and the top-step brokers in the pit.  It reminded
me about what in biology is known as a commensal relationship, for example, the
little fishes that swim around the mouths of sharks and the birds who clean the
alligators' teeth.  I would encourage any off-floor trader, before spending
one's next few hundred dollars for more hard- or software, to spend a few days
on the floor --- just go, shut your mouth, open your eyes, get bumped and
jostled around, see the chaos, hear the cacophony, and take it all in.  It was
an education I shall never forget.  I wish I had done it much, much earlier in
my trading career.

Sincerely,

Richard