Re: Taxes (was: Where is the Futures Industry Headed?)

At 15:23 22/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Yeah, I'm aware of the "departure tax". However, if you're
>not planning to return, why wouldn't you simply tell them
>exactly where they can stuff that bill? In fact, I believe
>Ken Dart effectively did the same thing quite some time ago
>and, to my knowledge, they have yet to collect a dime from
>him.

If you never plan on going back to the US ...then OK.  But if you ever
stepped foot on US soil, they'd throw you in jail.  It might be nice to
visit if a person still has friends/family there.  Not possible if you
refuse to pay the bill!

I think my point was that the "departure tax" is just further evidence of a
tax regime that is WAY too invasive and out of control (rather than how to
actually avoid paying it).  It just seems like a gross 'abuse' for the US
Govt to a) levy this tax in the first place and b) to make you a wanted
criminal for doing nothing more than handing onto your money as you
leave.  Thereby restricting your freedom to ever visit the US again.

And to think the country was founded on the basis of a tax revolt from an
overbearing power!  Maybe those Americans who fought and remained loyal to
King George were actually onto something ;-)!

Simon.